Do You Need Travellers Insurance?
We know that can be a daunting question which tends to just lead to more questions, “What do I have?”, “What do I need?”, “How much extra is it?”, “Will I actually use this?” In order to help you make the best and most appropriate decision for yourself and your family, CAANEO has a few basic questions and guidelines to keep in mind when booking your next trip out of Ontario.
Travel insurance can include anything from trip cancellation, trip interruption, travel delay, accidental death or dismemberment, medical and dental care, transportation to/from medical facilities at home or abroad, loss of luggage or personal possessions, to protection against the bankruptcy or default of your cruise line or tour operator. There are a lot of options and a lot of information to go through so here are some useful tips to keep in mind.
Look At What You Already Have
Personal and work medical plans may offer coverage outside of Canada, however be sure to check and see if any countries are excluded. In some cases even though you have medical coverage through work, you may be required to pay out of pocket for treatment or other medical emergency services and then file a reimbursement claim. A good out of province plan will cover costs up front and reimburse providers directly, protecting you from unexpected out-of pocket expenses. Ultimately you will have to decide what is best and most appropriate. Along with reconfirming what is covered though existing personal or work coverage, the same should be done for any insurance coverage offered by your credit card. It should not be assumed that a credit card will cover all specifics like travel delays, trip cancellation and interruption. Read up on the details or you could be exposed to financial loss.
Don’t Be Afraid To Ask Questions
When booking a trip, you should not hesitate to ask questions to existing and potential providers and use scenarios to clarify answers until you are completely satisfied.
Some key questions to ask include:
- What is the maximum coverage limit?
- Do coverage limits exist on specific benefits?
- What pre-existing conditions are not covered? (Regardless of whether or not you are required to fill out a medical declaration.)
- Do I need to call the assistance line before choosing a hospital or clinic?
- Does the cancellation/interruption coverage apply before and after departure?
- Are missed connections and other unforeseen travel delays covered?
- What services are available on the 24/7 emergency assistance line? (Translators, medical professionals etc.)
- If drugs or medical equipment are prescribed are they covered as well?
- How will family members be contacted in an emergency?
- Can I buy extra coverage to enhance my coverage from work?
Have Peace Of Mind And Enjoy!
Booking a trip requires a great investment of money and time, and because of that having the comfort of being covered for any little surprise that may happen can give you and your loved ones the complete peace of mind before and during your vacation. It is important to remember that financial issues, accidents and emergencies can happen anywhere at any time and everyone should have the right protection and coverage when traveling.