An International Driving Permit, or IDP, is a special license that allows motorists to drive vehicles in international traffic without further tests or applications. It is proof that the holder possesses a valid driver's license issued by a competent authority in their country of residence.
IDPs are available in Canada exclusively at CAA Stores and are available to members and non-members alike.
You can only apply for an IDP if you are 18 years of age or older and hold a valid Canadian provincial driver’s license. Additionally, you will require:
1. Do I have to be a CAA Member to get an IDP?
No. CAA issues IDPs for all Canadians - regardless of whether they have a membership with CAA.
2. How old do I have to be to obtain an IDP?
You must be at least 18 years of age.
3. How much does the IDP cost?
It costs $25.00 Canadian.
4. Can I get an IDP with a G1 Ontario driver's licence?
5. Can I obtain an IDP with my G2 Ontario licence?
6. Which address do I use on the IDP application form?
The address that is shown on your Canadian driver's licence
7. Where can I find more information about the IDP, including the application?
8. Where can I get an IDP?
An IDP can be acquired by visiting any of our CAA Stores in person, or by mail to any of the CAA Stores. In either case the appropriate application and necessary documents must be supplied.
9. Can I pay for my IDP by credit card if I am applying by mail?
Yes, there is a spot at the bottom of the application form to list your credit card number, expiry date and signature.
10. How long is an IDP valid for?
The IDP is valid for one year from the date of issue.
11. Can I re-use photos from a previously issued IDP or copies of the photo in my passport?
No. Only new photos may be used when applying for an IDP.
12. Can I obtain an IDP if I have lost or had my Canadian driver's licence stolen?
You can after you have obtained written proof from the Ministry of Transportation in the province or territory where you are licensed that you still have a valid driver's licence.
13. Can I get an IDP issued with my temporary or interim driver's licence while I'm waiting for my computer generated one to arrive by mail?
14. How long does it take to get an IDP?
Individuals who visit one of our CAA Stores can have an IDP issued within 24 hours. If an application is being mailed in, please allow approximately two to three weeks from the time we receive the documents.
15. Question 11 on the IDP application form asks "State vehicle for which IDP is required" what does this mean?
The type of vehicle you will be driving with the IDP for (i.e. a car, truck, motorcycle, bus etc.).
16. What if I am stopped by police in another country and do not produce an IDP along with my driver's license?
Penalties can vary from a fine to a citation. Without an IDP, a driver is therefore driving without a valid license and if stopped, law enforcement has the option of 1) arresting the driver and taking him/her to jail; 2) giving the driver a citation with a mandatory court appearance.
17. Can I get an IDP for my husband, sister, mother, niece, etc?
Yes, as long as you have a photocopy of their driver's licence, two passport-style photos, the completed application signed by them, along with a letter signed by the individual indicating you have permission to do this.
18. Do the photographs have to be in colour or can they be in black and white?
Both are acceptable.
19. Can I get an IDP sent back to me via courier?
Yes, however you must call in to the CAA Store where you are sending the package of necessary documents and request that it be returned via courier, along with providing a valid credit card number for the courier charges and a return address for the delivery.