Vacations can be expensive. Don’t break the bank – follow CAA’s Top 6 Tips to Save on Travel!
by Mary Wimmer
Your budget can quickly get the best of you on holiday. From international ATM fees and restaurant service charges to gotta-have-it souvenirs and last-minute attractions tickets, travel can be a costly endeavour.
With a little planning, it’s possible to cut down on vacation spending. Keep your travel balance in the green. Follow CAA’s Top 6 Tips to Save on Travel!
Top 6 Tips to Save on Travel
- Shop around. Regardless of where you’re going, make sure you compare prices. It pays to shop around! WestJet Vacations and Transat have some of the best-priced all-inclusive vacations for Canadians, and cruises with Holland America Line offer the most value for money.
- Pack light. Many airlines charge for checked baggage. Save money, and time spent at the carousel, by limiting your personal effects to carry-on only. Visit a CAA Travel store for a range of chic and compact carry-on luggage. Plus, CAA Members always save 10% just by showing their CAA card!
- Fly cheap. Depending on your destination, the flights are generally the most costly part of a trip. This is where the experts can come in handy. CAA Travel Experts have access to deals and discounts not available to the public. They’ll find you the best flights for your budget, no matter where you choose to go.
- Eat local. Picky eater? You’ll have to get over that if you want to save money abroad. Eating imported foods are often expensive abroad. Eat what the locals eat and your wallet - and palate - will thank you. Feeling adventurous? Try out local food trucks and markets. Street food is a sure-fire way to save money and treat your taste buds.
- Get walking. Tours by bus or car can be costly. Tour the city by foot instead and you’ll save cash, plus you’ll get a better feel for a place. Ditch the guidebook in favour of Wikitravel and Google Maps (which you’ve downloaded offline copies of onto your smartphone). Or pick up a free guidebook and maps from your CAA Travel store before your trip!
- Go cruising. Sometimes less isn’t more. When you want to make the most of your time and money away, a cruise may be the most cost-effective option. You’ll get to visit multiple destinations, all on one single trip – and for one all-inclusive price. Even better, you’ll only have to unpack once!
Ready to book your next escape? CAA is there for you when you want to save money on travel. Check out our range of family vacations, romantic getaways, and sunny escapes here. Then, call your CAA Travel Expert at 1-800-267-8713 or visit your nearest CAA Travel store to get the best deals and expert travel planning advice.