CAA’s Top 5 Urban Escapes
A city break is a quick escape from the everyday. Let CAA Travel be your guide to finding the best getaway for you – read on to discover what CAA's Top Five Urban Escapes are!
Haute cuisine, thrilling nightlife, and endless people-watching – a city break is the perfect escape for those in search of a little excitement! Check out CAA's top picks for urban escapes, either a road trip or short flight from home.
All you need to is a long weekend, and a bit of help from CAA Travel!
CAA's Top Five Urban Escapes
Hogtown, the Big Smoke, the anchor of the Golden Horseshoe… Toronto is Canada's largest city and the fourth largest in all of North America (right after Mexico City, New York and Los Angeles). This thriving metropolis always ranks high on lists of world's best cities, and it’s easy to see why: top-tier restaurants, endless arts and entertainment options, and friendly locals make this one of the best cities to visit, not just in Canada but the world.
- Take a ride up the CN Tower
- Soak up the scene in the Distillery District
- Catch the bohemian vibe of Kensington Market
From the trails of Mount Royal to the cobblestone streets of Old Montreal, enjoy life at a pace that is more European than Canadian. In this big and bustling city, the emphasis is always on pleasure – eating sumptuously, dressing well, and living in the moment. Make time for a theatre show and a festival (or two) – with so many entertainment options, it’s easy to see why this city is also known as "Canada’s Cultural Capital."
- Step back in time in Old Montreal, the city's historic quarter
- Enjoy the shops and restaurants along Rue Sainte-Catherine
- Time your visit to coincide with the city’s many festivals
Don't let its reputation as a government-town fool you: Washington D.C. is anything but tame! Local shops, funky marketplaces and people-watching hot spots beckon by midday, as nighttime gives way to full-course dinners and artisanal drinks from local breweries. Walk the halls of free Smithsonian museums, paddle on the Potomac, or sit back on a bus tour and discover the fascinating history of the city – and country.
- Explore the monuments and memorials of America's "front yard," the National Mall
- Glimpse the best view of the city from the observation deck at CEB Tower
- Check out the Wharf, home to the U.S.'s oldest continually-operating open-air fish market
Life in the "Big Easy" has been getting easier since 2005's Hurricane Katrina. More than a decade after the devastating hurricane, the city's bounced back in a big way. Round-the-clock nightlife and a vibrant music scene are back in full force, and the city’s touristic quarters are as lively as ever. While some parts of the city have visibly changed, a few things remain the same: New Orleans' spicy cuisine, street parties, and famed southern hospitality.
- Indulge in classic Creole cuisine: gumbo, jambalaya and beignets
- Dance the night away at jazz bars along Frenchman St. and St. Claude Ave.
- Peruse the antique shops and art galleries flanking Royal St
New York City
Little wonder that this iconic city is also known as the "City that Never Sleeps" – with so much life, art and inspiration packed into its compact geographical boundaries. The streets of New York City are teeming with architectural treasures, historic homes and hipster cafes. Every neighborhood offers a dramatically different version of the city and tells a unique story about its inhabitants, who hail from more than 150 countries around the world.
- Make your first stop to see the ever-iconic Statue of Liberty
- Lose yourself in the crowds of Chinatown's ramen restaurants and souvenir shops
- Immerse yourself in culture: make time for the Met, the MoMA, and the Guggenheim
Whether it's a reunion with family you’re planning, or some quality time spent with friends abroad, it's time to experience what some of the greatest cities close to home have to offer!
Ready to escape? A CAA Travel Professional can help you choose the perfect city break, and arrange your flights, hotel accommodations, airport transfers, car rentals, travel insurance, and so much more. Visit your nearest CAA Travel store or call CAA Travel at 1-800-267-8713 and get on your way to your great urban getaway!