Reporting to the Board of Directors, and accountable to the Club Membership, the President and CEO of CAA North & East Ontario (the ‘Club’) is foremost responsible for ensuring a strong value proposition for Club members, and strengthening and safeguarding the CAA brand. The CEO is responsible for leading the development of the Club’s strategic planning with input from the Board of Directors, overseeing the Club operations, developing constructive relationships with the communities the Club supports to positively influence issues critical to the membership, and building overall awareness of the Club.
In governing the affairs of CAA North & East Ontario (CAANEO), the Board has delegated to the President & CEO (“CEO”), working with the other executive officers of CAANEO, the authority and responsibility for managing the business of CAANEO in a manner consistent with the standards established by the Board. The CEO is expected to balance immediate operational requirements with delivering long-term value to Members, enhancing CAANEO’s reputation and ensuring a stable, sustainable financial position that includes building and sustaining a strong balance sheet year over year. They will lead their team in building a stable, engaged workforce that is responsive to the communities of North & Eastern Ontario.
Key Accountabilities of the President & CEO
- With input and direction from the Board, lead the development of the vision and long-term Strategic Plan for CAANEO. The Strategic Plan should contemplate changes in the external landscape, incorporate current desires and anticipate future needs of Members, reflect a balance of near-term considerations and long-term outcomes, protect brand equity, preserve the financial flexibility of CAANEO and adhere to National requirements.
- Provide effective leadership to communicate CAANEO’s strategic objectives; enforce alignment of division, department and personal goals and engage employees in the pursuit of CAANEO’s strategic objectives and mission statement.
- Evaluate and execute plans for growing membership, sales and revenue annually.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Maintain a positive working relationship with the Board and the senior leadership team including proactively soliciting input into development of corporate strategies and engaging in dialogue on critical issues.
- Ensure that members of the Board and its Committees have all the information necessary to exercise their responsibilities and provide relevant direction.
- Communicate appropriate information to Club executives to ensure full understanding of Board requirements.
- Work with the Board to develop personal objectives based on organizational priorities and provide appropriate updates forewarning of critical issue
Leadership for Effective Operational Performance and Resource Allocation:
- Maintain a positive working relationship with the employees at CAANEO, and provide effective day-to-day supervision of and leadership to the CAANEO senior leadership team.
- Working with the senior leadership team, operationalize strategic plans to support the Club’s long term goals and meet annual objectives in such a manner that CAANEO can consistently produce a quality Member experience while maintaining a sustainable financial position.
- Oversee execution of Operational Plans; within the parameters approved by the Board of Directors, ensure the effective acquisition and allocation of financial, human and physical resources required to deliver balanced operational performance. Develop and maintain systems to control and monitor the utilization of material corporate resources.
- Working with the Vice President of Corporate Services, ensure full compliance with Canada Not-for-profit Corporations Act (NFP Act).
- Monitor and provide assurance that CAANEO complies with all provincial laws and standards, National policies and CAANEO policies, standards and procedures. When appropriate, recommend to the Board policy modifications that will enhance the ability of CAANEO to achieve its strategic objectives.
- Through personal example and the leadership of the executive team, enhance the culture, structure and operating environment at CAANEO to optimize the performance of its human resources and encourage innovation in service to the Member.
- Facilitate cross-departmental collaboration and strengthen internal communications with staff throughout the organization; create and promote a positive work environment that supports consistency throughout the organization and ensuring fairness and equality in how staff are treated and compensated.
- Develop and sustain an effective succession planning process to ensure CAANEO maintains an appropriate senior leadership talent pool.
Brand Stewardship and Advocacy:
- Actively protect and build CAANEO brand equity.
- Support the development of public policy positions that reflect CAA values and the requirements of the Membership
- Establish and maintain effective relationships with provincial and municipal governments, personally acting as spokesperson or overseeing the messaging of a delegate
- Act as a spokesperson for the Club as is appropriate advocating to, and on behalf of, Members regarding relevant issues.
- Maintain effective relationships with CAANEO’s key reference groups, including CAA National, AAA, other CAA Clubs, and other appropriate governing bodies and Community partners within North & East Ontario.
- Take an active involvement at the national level to promote the common interests of CAANEO and where possible, leverage the scale and resources of the combined Federation of Auto Clubs worldwide.
Approved by HR Committee 2019 November 19