What to Do in a Traffic Accident
Although highly preventable, car accidents are unfortunately incredibly common. Here’s what to if you’re involved in one.
1. Remain calm. Check for injuries first and if there are any, call 911. If the collision is minor, turn on your hazard lights and move to a safe location.
2. Exchange information. Exchange your contact information and documents with the other driver(s) involved, including licenses, insurance and registration.
3. Make notes. Write down or use your phone to take pictures of your car, intersection and surroundings, and make sure to get the contact information of as many witnesses as you can.
4. Make calls. If the accident is not an emergency, call the local police for instructions (in Ottawa, call 613-236-1222). Call your auto insurance agent to notify them of the incident.
5. Call CAA! If you have a CAA Membership and need a tow, call CAA at 1-800-CAA-HELP (1-800-222-4357). Remember that in Ottawa, tow trucks are not allowed within 100 metres of a collision unless they have been called by you, your insurance company, or the police.