IMPORTANT NOTES: If CAA/AAA service is not available, a Member may acquire their own service, pay for it and submit the original invoice to CAA North and East Ontario (CAA NEO) within 30 days. A scan of your paid invoices and receipts must be emailed to email@example.com within 30 day of service.
Please read all of the information below to know what is and isn't covered for reimbursement purposes. Note that your claim will be denied if it is not submitted within the 30 day window.
A Membership is personal and covers the Member when driving or riding in a vehicle that becomes disabled. To ensure that CAA Members receive quality road service, CAA/AAA has contracted qualified facilities to provide Members with Roadside Assistance 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.
If CAA/AAA service is not available, a Member may acquire their own service, pay for it and submit the original invoice to CAA North and East Ontario (CAA NEO) within 30 days.
If the CAA/AAA service was available but not used, reimbursement consideration will be made at the local contract station rate, subject to approval by CAA NEO. CAA NEO will reimburse the Member for the service normally provided under the Membership. In instances where the CAA contractor’s access is legally restricted (e.g. toll road, limited-access highway), full reimbursement will be provided for towing back to the service facility or nearest exit.
Please note: The name on the receipt must match the Member’s name. Storage fees are not eligible for reimbursement. Reimbursement amount is determined by the Membership level.
For the protection of our Members, services cannot be provided to an unattended vehicle.
The CAA Member, not a designate, must be present at the time roadside service is provided.
CAA reserves the right to limit or suspend services during extreme weather events; to re-assign a Membership category; or to cancel a Membership if services are being misused. CAA reserves the right to limit towing to the nearest available place of safety under severe weather conditions. If a vehicle is in a safe place, CAA reserves the right to service the vehicle only after the heavy demand and/or weather condition has passed.
CAA also reserves the right to change benefits and policies regarding Memberships.
CAA reserves the right to refuse service: if the conditions are unsafe to the service provider or if the CAA employee or contractor is subjected to harassing or destructive behaviour of any kind. If information provided to Roadside Assistance team members is deliberately inaccurate, this could be cause for termination of the membership.
Send these documents to the following address:
2151 Thurston Drive
Ottawa, ON K1G 6C9
or email us at: firstname.lastname@example.org
The following reimbursement considerations apply:
- CAA Member that is named on Membership must be present with vehicle at time of service.
- Member must submit an official receipt that bears the business name/logo address and phone of the qualified, registered Auto Service or Towing Facility. Generic or handwritten receipts will not be accepted. Cash register receipts are not acceptable.
- Original receipt must bear the name of the Member and be signed by the Member. Altered receipts will not be accepted.
- Original receipts must be submitted to CAA within 30 day of service. To avoid delays, the original receipt must be submitted, please make a copy for your files.
Severe weather conditions such as extreme cold, snow, heat and flooding can impact service times. Road service may be temporarily suspended.
Roadside assistance services not covered by your membership include:
- Collision towing, where the policy of an insurance company owned by a provincial Crown Corporation operating exclusively within a province preempts CAA service.
- Second or additional trips by the service person on any one call, including re-tows from a residence, from a repair facility, or from repair facility to repair facility.
- Abandoned vehicles, towing a vehicle to a salvage yard, a vehicle that has failed a safety inspection, an impounded vehicle due to a legal infraction, and vehicles that are not plated or licensed, or have out-of-date registration stickers.
- Service to a vehicle willfully driven into an area not regularly travelled, e.g., vacant lot, open fields, beaches, private or recreational roads, yards, gravel, mud or snow filled driveways or alleys (service persons will not shovel snow), construction sites, unmaintained roads, frozen bodies of water, fire routes or other locations which cannot be reached safely. Note: a CAA tow driver has the right to assess the road and determine whether it is passable.
- Transportation of vehicles or trailers from one place to another where there is no mechanical issue.
- Service to school buses, motorcycles (under Classic Membership), and vehicles for hire, e.g. Uber, Lyft or those identified as taxis and limousines.
- Vehicles modified from original manufacture specifications are not covered under any Membership.
- Vehicles that have been raised, lowered, or have oversized tires are not covered under any Membership (Winter tires are no considered a modification).
- Vehicles with additional equipment such as salt spreaders or water tanks or plow blades, are not covered under any Membership level unless the equipment is removed.
- Charges for towing light duty trailers may be the responsibility of the Member. Trailers, including motorcycle cargo trailers, are covered only by RV Memberships.
- Impound and storage fees due to towing as a result of infractions of local ordinances or laws.
- Storage fees.
- Relocation of vehicles.
- Loaded vehicles may not be eligible for service. We may ask you to unload your vehicle prior to providing service.
- If a second service driver is required, the service will count as two service calls. This includes, but is not limited to safety blocker, second winch truck, help loading a vehicle, and some tows out of an underground facility.
- Members may NOT request flatbed service trucks.
- Roadside assistance is NOT provided for fleets.
- Membership services cannot be used for conducting business e.g., mechanic garages, dealerships or used car brokers.
- Cost of parts, labour, and repairs.
- Damage to a locked vehicle resulting from an attempt to gain entry.
- Transportation to and or from your disabled vehicle. (But CAA will help make arrangements for you at your expense.)
- Loss, damages or unsatisfactory workmanship resulting from an ERS facility providing the service. In most areas, ERS facilities are independent business and are not employees of CAA or its affiliates. CAA will help mediate between the member and contractor any vehicle repairs and damage complaints as a result from Road service provided by the contractor. If your vehicle cannot be made operable by providing services as listed, CAA will assist you in finding the nearest open place of repair.
- Charges for services that exceed the benefits listed will be at the prevailing hourly service call rate or mileage rate of the region where service is provided. Rules and privileges of Emergency Road Service are subject to change without notice.
- Motorcycles with or without a sidecar are covered under CAA Plus and Premier coverage. However, due to differences in service terms in the U.S. Members may expect to pay for service provided to motorcycles while travelling in the U.S. and may submit their original receipts their Club for reimbursement.
- A CAA NEO membership does not cover select vehicles, including, but not limited to, cargo/cube vans for commercial purposes, professional ride share vehicles such as Uber and Lyft, modified kits, raised suspensions with oversized tires, plow blades and/or salt spreaders, flatbeds or tilt and loads; any vehicle that is part of a working fleet (defined as business or broker-owned vehicle used to conduct work); pick-up trucks and vans over one tonne in designation (this does not include trailers or RVs that are covered under CAA Plus RV or Plus RV membership classifications); cube vans and other large commercial designated vehicles, taxis, limousines, and loaded vehicles, including vans of all designations and pickup trucks.